Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Saturday 2 May 2015

Back to School

By the time the first Monday morning of the new term dawned, and everyone was getting ready to return to their normal term time routines, I too was ready to get back to normal. Feeling refreshed from our holiday, and buoyed up by the good feelings from my clear out I walked my youngest to school in the spring sun, which was still shining, and let my mind wander over the day ahead. With the house suddenly empty of people, the first day of term can sometimes feel long and lonely, but at least I would be able to have a good clean around- without having to vacuum around my family!

I still had several things to list on eBay, so after my usual morning routines of washing up and washing, I began with those and continued the good feelings I had from all my de-cluttering. With the lovely unseasonably warm weather we were blessed with, that first day far from dragging by, went by far too fast! By the time everyone was arriving home from work and school, I hadn't even begun the cleaning that the house was desperately crying out for!!

The gorgeous weather continued for the rest of that first week back, which was a real bonus for getting the ever growing mountain of washing dried. It may have taken a long time to arrive this year, but once it did, spring certainly arrived in style! Everything seemed easier to manage- from the mundane chores such as the vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms etc. to the more enjoyable task of being able to enjoy the sunshine while hanging the washing out or walking my daughter to school.

The one thing that seemed to take a back seat that week was my sewing. I think, having got my orders so up to date before we went away on holiday actually worked against me on this. Because I knew that there was no urgency to get any sewing done while everyone was home for the holidays, I relaxed about the business and was able to just enjoy having my family around me for once. However, this feeling then carried through to the next week as I worked hard to catch up on all the housework, and my poor sewing got pushed back ever nearer to the bottom of the priority pile.


All of which is OK for a short while, but by the end of the week I was becoming very aware of the fact that where I had been so far ahead of myself, I was now in danger of delivering orders late. Not a good start to finally being able to shorten my turnaround times and push my business forward…!

No comments:

Post a Comment