Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Friday 6 March 2015

Bedding Orders



It’s snowing again this morning although, like yesterday it’s very wet out and so none of it settles. Once again, like yesterday, in between snow showers we have the most brilliant gorgeous sunshine- the weather really can’t decide whether it wants to revert to winter, or let spring start to edge its way through. It is extremely bitter out though, so I suspect spring will have to wait a little while longer at least.

Once I’m back from listening to readers at the school, I get the usual early morning jobs done around the house. Routines can easily get boring and become real ‘chores’, however I’m so used to doing them that I automatically load the washing machine and do the breakfast washing up almost without thinking about it. My day doesn’t begin until the two tasks are done, and any plans for the day have already taken the slightly later start into account!

Both of the older girls are home again today, which is nice as it means they can grab a bit of older ‘girly’ time together- once the younger of the two actually condescends to wake up! Taking my breakfast into the dining room I log onto the computer to check on emails and the website, and sneak a few moments to see what’s happening in the world of Facebook too. I’ve a few admin bits to do on the website, just some rearranging of the homepage and some general tidying up of item descriptions etc. so I get that done before checking through and writing up yesterday’s blog post.

I was so pleased to finally get the chance to catch up with my blog last month (even if I wasn’t pleased at the fact that it was due to having flu!), and I really don’t want to fall behind with it again. I don’t mind quite so much if I don’t actually manage to find the time to publish each day at the right time, just so long as I find the time to write it fully and get it drafted. When I was behind with it before, all I had written down was reminder notes- it’s amazing what hard work it is to remember what you were doing on any particular day when you only have the bare basics to work from!

After lunch I set to with some cutting out. I’ve actually got to the stage where I have nothing left cut out ready for sewing- it’s been a while since that was the case and I think it’s an indication that I am finally managing to catch up with myself a bit. I still have several orders outstanding before I can truly say I’m ahead with my work and actually advertise shorter time scales, but most of the orders waiting for my attention at the moment are for bedding and blankets, so will be quite straight forward and quick to complete.

I cut out enough fabric and wadding for the next four or five orders, and note with a feeling of satisfaction the neat pile of fabric. I’ve just about got time still this afternoon to start working on the next order on the list- it’s for a bedding set and blanket, both in designs that haven’t been ordered for a while. As a result I haven’t got my brighter, newer photos taken of them yet, so I must remember to do so before I send the items out to my customer. 
Perhaps it’s fortunate therefore that I have to stop to cook dinner before completing the sewing of the pillow, as otherwise I would have been tempted to hurry with getting the parcel wrapped up in the hope that Mike will be back early enough to take it to the post office for me! As it stands now, perhaps tomorrow I will get the chance to bring this particular bedding set design up to the same selling standard as the other ones…

No comments:

Post a Comment