Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Miserable Weather



So much for a warmer weekend! I said I’d only believe it if it happened, and it didn’t. Saturday started off foggy, dull and drizzly, and although officially a little warmer, the temperature never really made it into double figures. Even by the afternoon, when the sun actually decided to shine for a while, the temperature remained rather on the chilly side. 
As for yesterday, the fog seemed to set in by early morning and didn’t seem to want to shift. We drove to church in the drizzle, and dropped our son at a friend’s house on the way home in thick fog. Every time I looked out of the window the mist seemed denser, the drizzle heavier, and within minutes of our return home we’d turned the heating up. The sun didn’t come out all day.

This morning starts out the same as yesterday, and doesn’t show any sign of improving. I don’t have to make the walk down to school this morning as Mike’s got the day off, and I can’t really say I’m too sorry! Our eldest girl has the day off too today, and we watch as he walks down the drive with our littlest- they’re already wet through by the time they reach the road.

There’s a whole load of washing up from yesterday evening to do this morning- a certain person last night said they were going to do it, then having never got around to it promised they’d do it today, but not trusting him to do so and feeling very irritated by the state of the kitchen, I set to and fill the sink. Fortunately my biggest girl is on hand with the tea towel so together we make fairly light work of what is potentially a big job. The washing machine is already going, so afterwards I take my breakfast to the dining room and check up on my emails etc. while my daughter finds a programme she wants to catch up with on the television. Mike meanwhile is happily reading, and looks like he’s intending to spend most of the day doing so.

It’s still dull and raining out, and just like yesterday it isn’t long before I resort to turning the heating back up. I always find it difficult to get anything done when I’m feeling cold, and after having such a good couple of weeks where I achieved such a lot I don’t then want to waste today. Yesterday was a bit like that, but at least it was the weekend, and so by rights should have been a chance to take things easy and spend time together. I did at least manage to finish the Tesco online order, plan meals for the next couple of weeks, and made a cake with my littlest girl as we had lots of over ripe-bananas I didn’t want to throw away- so I guess it wasn’t really such a wasted day!

On Saturday I kept up the good feeling from the week- in the afternoon I spent some time in the study, or ‘storage room’ as it currently is. This is where most of the boxes of items from the house have been left, while waiting for me to get a chance to sort them out. It’s a very time consuming, and often emotionally hard job, as the salvage ‘experts’ brought in to help us after the fire filled every box with a completely random assortment of things- any given box can contain anything from damp rubbish, to something precious that got ruined, to something that someone has been longing to find and is actually still usable. It’s a job that I really need to be in the correct frame of mind for- unfortunately though on Saturday my heart wasn’t in it, and I didn’t really get a lot done. Having managed to finally get back in there and face it for the first time since Christmas though, hopefully it’ll now be easier to carry on with the task over the next few weeks.

Today, despite the rain and the cold and the fact that Mike has now moved from the living room into the dining room- with his book still attached, I’m having quite a productive day. I have a couple of seams to mend on his work trousers, which gives me the excuse to get the sewing machine out earlier than usual. Seams done, it only feels right to carry on sewing now. The house is all fairly clean, even after everyone being around all weekend, so there is nothing pressing that can’t wait another day or two- and I do have a large pile of bedding fabric cut out still from last week which I really need to get made up.

Before it’s even quite reached lunchtime I have two little pink blankets made up and ready to send out- one is a complete order on its own, the other needs bedding to go with it, which I’m going to do this afternoon. Lunchtime is a little strange- there had been an idea of going out for a drive up onto the hills as we sometimes do when Mike’s around, but with such heavy fog hanging around there seems to be little point as we’re hardly likely to be able to appreciate the view! Therefore we all end up eating different things at different times, as no one could decide what to make to suit everyone. It may sometimes seem a bit too quiet when everyone’s out at work and school, but it’s far easier to make decisions on food when it’s just me!

By the time lunch is finished with it’s getting well on into the afternoon so I get straight on with making up the little quilt and pillow. Although I have two volunteers to pick up my youngest from school this afternoon, I will have to stop soon after that anyway to cook dinner, so I’m glad it’s just a straightforward task that I have to do. Mike finally stops reading for long enough to complete just one of the many jobs on his list for today, and heads off to the tip with all the recycling we can’t put out at the roadside- much to our eldest girl’s dismay as this now leaves her to make the walk down to school in the now-much-heavier rain!

Bedding set completed, I just about have the time to wrap both parcels ready for sending out. Hopefully Mike will have the time to drop them at the post office when he takes our littlest to Brownies later. After a good afternoon’s sewing though, it’s now time to pack up and prepare dinner- and besides, I’m now down to only one item cut out ready for sewing. Looks like it could be another day of cutting out for me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment