Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Wednesday 11 March 2015

Time Flies...



Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. Spring, that is, which seems to have disappeared just as quickly as it began. This morning, although dry out, is overcast and threatening, and there’s a very icy wind blowing. Such a shame- the ‘African Animal’ children are off to the zoo today and it would have been nice for them not to have to be out in the freezing cold for once. I know they’ll all have a brilliant time, as all children seem to whatever the trip- just simply because they’re not in school. But after the promise of warmer weather to come that we had yesterday, it just seems a bit of a shame.

It’s chaos down outside the classroom when I drop my little girl off at school- there are over excited children and anxious looking parents milling about everywhere in the corridor- for some of the youngest children this is their first ever trip out with school. But the teacher in charge is calm, and obviously on top of the situation as she quietly organises the children into sitting down in the middle of the room. My daughter smiles and waves to me as I leave her, and I’m pleased to see she looks happy and relaxed She’s not usually very keen on coach journeys as although she rarely suffers from travel sickness, she very occasionally does feel ill. I think today though the prospect of maybe seeing a real live elephant has taken over from her usual worries!

I make the walk home with a heavy heart. I don’t like school trip days, never have and never will. Yes, I know that nowhere is one hundred percent safe, accidents can happen anywhere, as can fires etc. etc., but at least when the children are in school for the day I know exactly where they are- and how to get to them if they need me to! Fortunately, with a house full of things needing my attention, my mind is soon elsewhere and before I know it I glance at the clock and realise they’ll already have arrived at the zoo!

By eleven o’clock I give in and turn the heating back up. Yesterday there was no need to do so until after school time, so it’s quite disappointing to be feeling the cold again today- it’s amazing how much of a ‘feel good factor’ there is attached to one day of sunshine! My hands are cold through, so there’s little point in any early sewing today, but I have a fair bit of admin to get through so decide that’s the best place to start.
I really don’t know where time goes to. With my new stricter budgeting campaign, I’ve some work to add to the workings out I did last week- just a few extras like milk that needed buying by the end of the week, and Mike’s latest petrol fill up, so I start with that as its going round in my head too much to concentrate on anything else. 
Our second youngest daughter has a school concert next week, and I need to get the tickets bought. I look for the order form on the latest school newsletter and, having breathed a sigh of relief that the deadline for ordering is tomorrow, I print the form and write out the cheque. That then leads me to notice that there are a few newsletters I haven’t downloaded, so I head to the school website to find them. While on the website I take a look at the gallery of photos from the Christmas concert as I’ve been told by my daughter that she’s in some of them…

And so it goes on- before I know it it’s time for (an already late!) lunch, and I’ve only achieved a fraction of the things I wanted to this morning. I wouldn’t mind if like my dear husband, I ever got distracted by playing a game, or reading a book, or even by browsing the news. At least then I’d know where the day had disappeared to, but all I ever have to show from the six or so hours I have to myself is- nothing much! Only if I actually sew solidly from the time I get back from dropping off at school until afternoon pick up, or if the house is so dirty that my cleaning makes a noticeable difference, is there anything to actually say ‘that’s what I did today’!

Having grabbed a quick lunch, I decide that today obviously is one of those days when admin and washing are determined to take over, so I abandon my ideas of getting any sewing done. By concentrating on changing over the washing on the airers, and getting all the little computer jobs done today, I’ll be freed up then for spending longer on the practical side of my little business. And anyway, I’m now back to feeling anxious as its nearly time for the children to be travelling back to school, I’m concerned in case my littlest didn’t travel well, but I’m looking forward to hearing all about the animals they saw today. I rather suspect I’ll get to spend the rest of the evening being followed around by a very chatty little girl- giving me a minute by minute account of her day!

No comments:

Post a Comment