Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Saturday 7 March 2015

Simple Aims, Positive Results



It’s sunny this morning, and still really cold outside, but for the first time this week it looks as though the weather might just consider warming up a bit. According to last night’s forecast we’ve got a warmer weekend coming up, but I’m not going to believe that until I feel it!

My head is definitely a lot clearer today- that list making over the last couple of days seems to have done the trick! I hadn’t even realised that I had so much ‘stuff’ that needed to be sorted out, until I began to write it all down and start to work through it. This morning as I walk my daughter to school I am able to make a clear and simple plan for the day- not that I live much by plans, as they so often get changed for one reason or another. But my aims for today are simple, if a bit time consuming.

Firstly the obvious and everyday jobs- wash the breakfast dishes, load the washing machine and tumble drier, check for dry clothes on the airers and replace with wet… then a quick breakfast and a check of my emails and website etc.

Secondly I want to catch up with this blog. On Tuesday I wrote about how pleased I was that I’d managed to catch up with writing it and that even if I didn’t get each post published on time, it didn’t matter as long as I wrote each day’s entry at the right time. I never learn- almost as soon as I’d put the words down life (or more specifically, my ‘to do’ lists!) started to get in the way once again and the last couple of days have so far been written in note form only. 
They’re still more complete than the notes I’ve managed previously, but they do need writing out properly before I can post them. The fact that I’ve done more work towards each day almost counts against me and gives me extra work to do, as it would seem a waste of time to ignore the drafted notes and skip a couple of days! It takes a while, but before I know it it’s nearly lunchtime and I have the last two days of my life written down and ready for publishing online.

I’m on a bit of a roll, and really feel like I’m beginning to get somewhere with all this sorting out and catching up with things. As I’m not particularly hungry yet I decide to get on with the third thing I want to achieve today- cleaning the bathrooms. Having got so behind with the housework while I was ill, and then having had such an intensive catch up last week I’m determined not to fall behind with any of it again. 
With two cloakrooms and the main bathroom to work through, I set myself a target of an hour to complete all three. I’m not sure quite how realistic that is, but I make a mental note of the time and then get on with the task in hand. Three shiny bathrooms later, and I’m pleasantly surprised to see that I’ve only gone over by ten minutes- and some of that was taken up with having to stop and answer the phone to Mike!

By now I am hungry, so I take a few minutes out for a sit down and a look through the orders I have for working through. It’s been a couple of days since I got any actual sewing done, so that’s my fourth task for the day. It’s getting quite late in the afternoon, so I know I won’t get much done today but I do need to make up the little blanket to complete the order I was working through on Tuesday. Once finished I take both the blanket and the bedding set upstairs- ready to be photographed once I come back from picking up my littlest girl from school.

It’s still sunny out, if not much warmer, so after a pleasant stroll down to the school I spread the bedding sets out on the bright pink throw I bought as a background for indoor photos. Catching the light from the sun, they look lovely and bright and for once it takes me no time to take photos I’m pleased with. I’ll add them to the item descriptions later on or tomorrow, so for now I’ve just one task left to complete- making a fish pie for tea that doesn’t taste too much of fish, so no one complains! This could be the one task I fail with today…

No comments:

Post a Comment