Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Monday 2 February 2015

Catching Up a Bit



Due to other events taking over the last few days, I’ve fallen way behind on my orders again. None of them are overdue or missed requested deadlines, but as one of my main aims this year is to get ahead of myself and cut down on order turn around times, it’s not a good start. I wake up determined, therefore, to find the time today to get at least one order completely sewn and ready for posting- more if I can manage it. But not until I’ve done the school run, listened to the readers in my daughter’s class and finished my daily morning duties of breakfast washing up, loading the washing machine and tumble drier…

Once again it’s nearly lunchtime by the time everything has been done, and the washing machine’s already demanding my attention again, having already finished the first load for me. Washing sorted, I settle to some admin work over lunch.

I’ve got some lovely fabric with a pretty balloon print, which I bought originally to replace a strawberry print one I’d been using for a top and jeans set for girl dolls. Although I’ve already sold a couple of the sets, when I came across the strawberry print again during one of my online fabric browsing sessions, I decided to reinstate that one as the top, as I always felt the balloon one was wasted as this and would make a lovely dress. One of the new ideas I came up with at Christmas is to include a birthday celebration dress in with all the new seasonal and special occasion ones this year. I haven’t yet managed to get a trial one made up, but now I’ve bought the lace for it- my nice cerise pink one I mentioned previously, I decide it’s time to add it to the store. As this will be a year round dress, I’m going to make it with long sleeves, though I may offer short as an option during the summer months.

Dress description added to the website, I sit down at the sewing machine to begin my afternoon of uninterrupted sewing. Uninterrupted that is, except by reloading the washing machine, fetching my littlest from school, peeling potatoes for tonight’s tea… Whoever said a mum’s life was easy was kidding their self. Or wasn’t a mum.

After all my time spent cutting out last week, at least I have a nice big pile of fabric ready for sewing, so I can just get straight down to business. I’ve got a nice order of two little blankets, so I start on that as I know I should be able to get it made up this afternoon, even if events conspire against me once again! The blankets are incredibly popular, and I’ve been making them since the very early days of Little Dolly Clothes Shop, so it doesn’t take long to get the two of them made and parcelled up ready to go.


Next up, the other late Christmas dress order which, much as I love all things Christmas, is beginning to annoy me- especially during all the dull cold winter days we’ve had recently! I’ve already managed to make up the little pants that complete the order so, in between interruptions I sit determinedly working on the little red dress so that I can achieve my seemingly simple ambition of getting two orders ready today. Despite having to stop and start several times over the course of the late afternoon, I actually manage to finish the dress, just leaving the popper and the button trim for hand sewing this evening… and leaving me with the biggest sense of satisfaction I’ve felt for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment