Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Saturday 7 February 2015

Two More Down...



Unfortunately it looks like I may have been right in my fears for my family’s health, although this bug seems to be coming out in varying degrees according to the person catching it. Second youngest daughter is still not right, but appears more to have a very major cold today- she didn’t come over shivery again in the night, and true to her word she has gone off to school (well dosed up on paracetamol I might add!) to watch the visiting performers in The Comedy of Errors. Rather her than me!

Mike snuffled his way through the night, and has woken up with a full on cold, bad chest and headache, but apparently the company just won’t survive without him there, so he battles his way through taking the girls to town for their buses and then heads off to work, under strict instructions to come home early if he’s feeling too poorly. At least with the children I don’t have the added worry about them having to drive anywhere while feeling poorly, but I’m not sure Mike’s ever grasped the concept of me worrying about him at all.

And my poor littlest girl, fine when she went to bed, was up with a raging temperature by three o’clock. Having dosed her up she slept well afterwards, but this morning she has the trademark nasty cough that seems to be the one constant with this illness, and she looks so pale and poorly. She has literally only ever missed a couple of days of school in four and a half years of being there, the last was about three years ago and the idea of taking a day off ill is really upsetting her. But as I sit watching her determinedly trying to eat some breakfast to prove a point, I know she won’t be going anywhere today.

Reluctantly she gives in and goes back up to bed, cheered a little by the prospect of lots of mummy cuddles today. Despite being a very bright eight year old, my little girl’s eyes still fill with tears when she remembers what it was like when it was ‘just us’, before she started school! Lots of cuddles later and she releases me long enough for me to be able to go and get on with the washing and early morning jobs.

I’m already getting the feeling that things aren’t going to work out to plan today, and that all the cutting out that I had ready by the sewing machine just isn’t going to magically find itself turned into lots of nice dolly garments by the end of today, even with the bonus of no ‘school run’ to worry about. Today, I think, will be about cuddles and cutting out instead, but I’d better get an online grocery shopping order on the go too. I do most of our shopping that way anyway, but normally Mike tops things like the milk up on his way home from work as and when needed, or on a Saturday morning. 
But with him looking so rough this morning I can’t rely on that being the case tomorrow, there’s also possible severe weather forecast, and I’ve just found I have no suitable cough medicine in the house for my poorly littlest.

Despite being in bed all morning, my littlest girl hasn’t slept at all, but very unusually has just stayed propped in bed doing nothing, which shows me how poorly she actually is. She has at least been knitting for a couple of hours- her latest favourite pastime picked up from her oldest sister, so she’s seemed quite content. By half past one, she’s had enough of being upstairs and is asking to come down to watch some telly, which seems a good plan to me, and it’s nice to hear her sounding a bit brighter.

Mike rings just as I’ve settled her on the settee in front of Tiny Pop, unfortunately he’s not feeling any brighter, and is currently sitting in the car with the shivers waiting to feel well enough to travel home. Fortunately I asked him to pick some paracetamol up this morning, and he actually remembered (although he hasn’t actually taken any!), so I give him strict instructions to dose himself up, snuggle down for a bit and head home just as soon as he’s able.

By now, I know the weekend’s going to be long, so I settle down with my computer for a bit to catch up on some admin, publish another blog post- I did at least manage to get a second one online last night, and then cut out another outfit’s worth of fabric, before heading into the living room to watch My Little Pony, while waiting for all my poorly family to return home safely for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment