Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Wednesday 11 February 2015

My Littlest Girl's Birthday




I can’t believe my little ‘baby’ is nine years old today- it just doesn’t seem possible that all that time has passed since we welcomed her into the world, and into our family. This morning she comes bouncing into our room before 7o’clock, and we share a lovely warm ‘just woken up’ hug before she bounces after her sister to spend some time with her before she disappears off for her school bus. Once Mike has taken the older girls out, she’s back for more cuddles and we share a lovely half hour with her reading from her school book to me- something we rarely seem to find the time for these days.

I don’t want to waste precious time with my littlest girl today, there won’t be many more birthdays while she still feels like my little baby, so for the first time in over a week I venture out of my bed and downstairs at only eight in the morning. I still don’t have any appetite since being poorly, so I sit with her while she has her breakfast and chatters excitedly away- it’s obvious that for a bright little spark with lots of friends, school is the place to be on your birthday!

Of course, it could also be that she’s faced with the prospect of having to wait a very long day before she gets anywhere near her presents- one of the hazards of being a part of a large, busy family is that there never seems to be any time earlier in the day with everyone around at the same time to share the tradition of present opening. Over the years we’ve all grown used to spending the whole day waiting for our gifts, only to get them shortly before bed. Maybe we should adopt the approach of opening them the night before the big day, in the way that some continental countries open their Christmas presents on Christmas Eve! The first thing her friends will ask this morning is what she got; by tomorrow their interest may have waned, a new approach would solve that…

With her safely taken down to school today by her sister, who dragged herself out of bed early on a non-college day for the privilege of a walk with a very hyper little sister, I decide that I’m not ready to go back up to bed so I’m going to have a go at ‘being up and about’ today. Mike has done the drying up from last night, but the morning washing up’s waiting for doing so I begin with that- it’s amazing though how tiring my usual tasks are after a week off, and it’s not long before I realise that I’m still going to have to take it easy today. With Tesco due soon though, I get dressed- the first time in over a week that I’ve got up and dressed properly, and it feels really alien to be so!!

Back downstairs I set a load of washing going, and thankfully second eldest daughter is here to help unload all the shopping. I cheated with my littlest’s birthday cake this year, I decided that given how poorly I was last week I probably wouldn’t manage to make her one so ordered a pretty butterfly cake from Tesco- which fortunately arrived in one piece. Its decoration is fairly plain in design, so I also ordered a tube of pink icing and thought I’d enhance it a little for her by adding her name, age and some extra flowers- a job for this afternoon, after her Parent-Teacher interview which also happens to be today.

After a brief sit down I head off down to the school, the first time I have made this walk in nearly two weeks, and have a very enjoyable chat with my daughter’s class teacher. She’s flying through her lessons in school, scores very highly in her six monthly reading and spelling tests, and is working at an age way beyond her nine years. One extremely proud mummy, I wander slowly back up the hill to conserve my energy for cake decorating.

I have to say I’m pleased with the way the cake turns out, and I can’t wait for her to see it after tea. In the meantime though, I can’t wait to see her and hear all about her day at school, and to tell her how proud I am of her! Very soon she’s back home and chatters away about all she’s done in the day, while I start preparing her requested birthday tea of home made toad-in-the-hole with peas and beans- she never even once asks about when she’s going to get given her presents, such is the life of a sixth child!

With everyone home at last my dear little girl happily eats through her tea, and then finally gets to open her presents. The living room is soon lost under a mountain of shreds of pink wrapping paper, but the look on my daughter’s face is a picture, and says she didn’t mind waiting one bit for her presents as she’s delighted with each one. When presented with her cake she beams even more and I can’t help feeling a little pleased with myself. It’s been a good day, my baby girl has had a lovely birthday, and for the first time in a while everyone is actually well and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment