Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Saturday 7 February 2015

Another One Bites the Dust...



Our eldest daughter has a day off today, and with Mike dashing off early (complete with hundreds of pages of near-perfect printing!) she takes her sister down to school for me, so that just for once I don’t have to manage both the school run AND the recycling! The added extra few minutes soon get lost however, in amongst all the usual morning routines but they are still more than welcome, especially as I don’t have to walk up the steep hill back home before sorting it all out!

After helping me to take in the Tesco online shopping, my big girl takes herself off to the living room to find some telly to watch. Although she’s far more well than she was at the weekend, this flu bug’s still got a hold of her and I’m glad she’s had this day off written into her shifts, as hopefully she’ll have a nice lazy day with no one else around. Our son too, has come down with a form of the bug- he was extremely poorly on Tuesday evening, but managed to pull himself together ok for school yesterday. He’s obviously got a slightly milder form of it, to be capable of going out, but I’m still worried that he shouldn’t even be out today. I just hope it doesn’t go around the rest of us.

It’s turned very cold and dull, and keeps intermittently snowing and sleeting, and I’m struggling to keep warm and motivated. I think I’m dwelling too much on whether or not we’re all about to go down ill, which is rather putting me off my sewing! Instead, I concentrate on some more blog drafting and getting some written up ready for posting online, and publish what I hope will be the first of two put on there today.

I’m making a simple mince dinner tonight, so as I don’t need to worry about that until later I set to with another load of cutting out. It seems such a futile job at the time- whenever Mike comes in and asks after my day, if all I can say is ‘I did lots of cutting out’, I always feel I’ve failed in my day. Which is stupid really, as without all the cutting out, I would have nothing to actually sew! And when faced with a whole day free to get sewing, if there’s nothing actually cut out and ready, by the time I’ve cut some out, I’ve lost a load of my sewing time!! I think it’s just one of those things I need to get my head around…

Unfortunately it seems my fears are beginning to be realised by the time our second youngest daughter gets home, as she’s hot and shivery with a raging cold and says she’s been like it for most of the day. She’s soon cosy in her pyjamas, dosed up with paracetamol and lovely soup (made by her in cookery this week), and packed off up to bed. ‘It’s ok’, she says, ‘I’ll be at school tomorrow as there’s the visiting Shakespeare theatre company coming in, I’m not missing that’. Hmmm, we’ll see.

I’m not convinced that Mike’s not brewing this flu bug too- I know he’s had a full on day with his training course today, and he always can have a bit of a tendency towards laziness, but something about the way he just seems to be oblivious to me doing the dinner time washing up, and end of the day routines without even a half-hearted offer of help is making me a little suspicious…

No comments:

Post a Comment