Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Saturday 28 February 2015

My Varied Life!



Well, at least I managed yesterday’s task- I finished both bedding sets last night and Mike took them to the post office for me this morning! Doing so kind of proves to me that if I manage to get on top of all my orders, I should be able to eventually get ahead of myself. On the other hand, I didn’t manage to get back to my sewing until after dinner was cooked and eaten, the washing up was done, the younger girls were in bed and everyone else was settled for the evening in front of the telly. But I haven’t let my customer down, which is the main thing- whether or not the parcel arrives tomorrow is now down to Royal Mail.

It’s raining again this morning, and I get drenched taking my littlest to school, and get even wetter putting the recycling out. After three weeks of illness, and with it nearing the end of the week, I could really do with a sit down and warm up by the time I’ve finished, but it’s easier to get on with the breakfast washing up and loading the washing machine first- while I’m still ‘on a roll’! I finally grab my chance for a sit down while having breakfast, and also take a quick look at my emails and website and then take another look at my pesky google ad. I’m still having trouble targeting my seasonal range, and now I’ve realised that I also need to advertise my Red Nose Day dress or I won’t sell any.

Half an hour later and I’m still not getting anywhere. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing wrong, I’ve never had trouble with setting keywords before, so I think this is something that I need to dedicate some proper time to- when I’ve not got a million other things going through my mind that I really should be doing instead!

Today’s task in ‘operation tidy-up’ is the bathrooms. Ok, they were on the list for yesterday, but that was another story. I’m determined today to have a more successful day than yesterday; it couldn’t really get much more frustrating, so I shut the computer and grab the cleaning stuff. Somehow the cloakrooms don’t seem to have suffered by my being ill as much as the rest of the house, I’m pretty certain that no one else bothered to clean them in my absence so perhaps it just reflects how up to date I normally keep them!
A couple of hours later we have two shiny clean cloakrooms, with only the floors needing washing. It may be a very mundane task, but it is enormously satisfying- I did say I was a bit of a sad person when it comes to housework!!

Grabbing some toast for lunch I sit back at the computer and head to my website. I need to check the stock levels for my bedding sets- I currently have three different designs on offer, and I’m pretty sure that at least one is sold out, when I check I notice that only one actually has any stock left! As bedding sets are easily one of my biggest sellers I need to keep on top of the stock situation so I log onto one of my favourite online fabric shops and find that (fortunately!) I can easily replace both designs. Fabric bought, I decide to wait until I know it has been despatched before updating the website, having been caught out before with another store’s apologetic email to explain that their shop stock was showing wrongly!

As I’m on admin duty I take a moment to just check through the Dolly Clothes Calendar I made up last year- a record of dates when I added various items, changed over to summer or winter stock etc. With a bit of a shock I notice that I normally start my end of winter sale on the first Sunday in March, and that that makes it this weekend! Where’s February gone? Other than most of it in a haze of illness…

I’ve just about got time still to get some sewing done before end of school time, so setting Dragon’s Den playing on iPlayer I get out the next order that I need to get made up and sent out. I started the tops last week and sewed the poppers n while they were in the very early stages of completion, and now I take the chance to finish both of them. The order is for a pair of pyjamas and a top and trousers set, and although I don’t have the time today to make the two pairs of trousers, I should be able to make them up tomorrow and hopefully get the order in the post on Saturday morning. For now though, it’s time to fetch my youngest from school, and start on tonight’s dinner- no one could ever accuse me of living an uninteresting and unvaried life!

No comments:

Post a Comment