Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Wednesday 11 February 2015

First Charity Venture



I wish this flu bug would just go away and leave us alone now. After such a good positive day yesterday, I didn’t sleep at all well and have been awake since half past four with a headache that will not shift. Although up and about properly, I didn’t get any actual work done yesterday and now my mind just wants to get going and catch up a bit with my orders, and the new website design- even though my body doesn’t seem to want to follow suit.

My second youngest daughter seems to have taken a backwards step today as well, and she’s been sent back to bed- finally having the day off that she stubbornly refused to take nearly two weeks ago. With my eldest girl on a later shift at work today, she takes her youngest sister down to school for me, giving me the chance for a bit of a lazier start in the hope of shifting this headache. It doesn’t really work, and neither can I manage to grab forty winks, so I head downstairs when my daughter leaves for work and start my day with the usual round of washing up and loading the washing machine.

I’ve had another new fabric come in the post today. While lying semi-conscious I bed at some point last week, it occurred to me that along with all my new seasonal designs I could maybe make a charity dress for Red Nose Day. I think I must have overheard my younger girls talking about it or something, as both their schools support it and it set my mind wandering and imagining a red spotty dress. The next time I took the computer out I had a browse and found the ideal fabric- white with large red dots all over. I’ve no idea if it’s the sort of thing that will appeal to my customers, but I’m going to get it online as soon as possible and find out!

After convincing myself yet again to have some lunch (I wonder if I’ll ever get my appetite back?) I take a photo of my nice spotty fabric, and then write up the description for the dress. I can’t decide whether or not to offer this with short sleeves- it’s very tempting as I’m going to keep it available on the website until at least the end of March, but looking outside at the dull weather persuades me to make it long sleeved instead. I’m not going to worry about this too much at the moment as it’s more important to get the dress up for sale, but I will have a think about this as I want it to appeal to as many customers as possible, and I personally prefer the way the short sleeves look. Maybe I could offer sleeve length as a customer choice? It doesn’t take long to get the dress online, now I just need a link through from the home page, which I’d prefer to do once I’ve settled on a new design, and also make sure my troublesome ‘seasonal’ ad somehow includes it.

I’m still really tired, and much as I had great plans to get more done on the website today, I realise that if this headache won’t shift I’ll just have to admit defeat for today. I’ve had another look at the possible designs for the site, and I now only have two that I think will fit Little Dolly Clothes Shop, so that’s progress of a sort! The rest will have to wait until tomorrow, for now making dinner, ironing tomorrow’s shirts, and then hopefully getting a nice early night are the order of the evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment