Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Sunday 8 February 2015

... Only Two to Go...



Listening to my poor snuffling, chesty family as they struggle their way through the night, I realise that I have almost no chance of avoiding this flu bug and can only hope that I get the milder version of it like those who still managed to get up for school after shivering all night. Mike moaned and groaned his way through the evening yesterday, and then opted to stay downstairs sitting upright in the armchair all night. Possibly a good option for his chest, I’m not so sure it was for his back.

Second eldest daughter seems to be avoiding coming down with it too bad so far as well, so maybe there is some hope for me. She suffers from time to time with a bit of a cough anyway and it seems to be slightly worse at the moment, so hopefully that’s as far as she will go with it.

I start to get up and about, then realise just how tired I am today, maybe two disturbed nights listening out for everybody is beginning to take its toll. And why, when everyone is having a very rare, but much needed lie in, am I even bothering to get up yet anyway? I take Mike a hot drink, and take my cup of tea upstairs. There’s no point in planning lunch or dinner as who knows who’ll even want to eat by then, so I snuggle back in bed with my book while being on stand by for my family.

Mike comes up for a lie down, which is very short lived as his cough soon takes hold again and he heads off back downstairs. He really should be in bed by the look of him- I know he’s obviously got ‘Man Flu’ by the sound of all the groans, but in reality he actually does have some sort of flu and needs to take it easy. I’m pleased to see that my younger two girls are both doing just that, and are sitting together in one of their beds playing quietly with the Barbies.

By now, our second eldest daughter is getting up ready for her waitressing job at the pub, and I’m feeling guilty for still sitting around in bed. I gather together some of the regular ‘weekend’ washing and go to load it in the machine while going through a list of jobs in my head that I should be doing instead of lazing around. It’s very cold and dark out, and it’s starting to snow, and I really just can’t seem to get motivated at all. I don’t do ‘lie-ins’, but in an attempt to stave off this illness as long as possible I take my computer, and another cup of tea upstairs and give in to the feeling that I should be taking things a little bit easier today.

Our son goes out to meet a friend, despite the actual proper snow falling from the sky, but he’s said he’ll get the next bus back if the weather looks like it’s turning too bad. Not a lot of consolation when you live on a bus route that only runs a bus every hour or two… if you’re lucky… But the thought’s there.

By two ‘clock I’ve had enough of taking it easy (I hadn’t realised quite how tired I was, nor quite how quickly time was going!) and I get up and head downstairs. Lunch was a bit of a make do affair- supposedly sausage rolls, but what anyone actually ate is anyone’s guess! I reload the washing machine and get the mornings washing up done. I couldn’t book a Tesco slot for today, so have one booked for tomorrow but looking out at the weather I just hope it won’t be too late, and that the van won’t get stuck somewhere along the route.

The snow does seem to be easing a little, and although it’s come down fairly steadily all morning it still hasn’t really settled at all. The children have all relocated from upstairs and are now all snuggled in the living room with Mike, watching DVDs. I feel a bit left out, and still a bit out of sorts, but they’re watching a film I really don’t like, so I just get by as best I can and get some blog drafting and website admin done instead.

The rest of the day drags slowly by, the weather is still very wintry but our son gets back safely just as the snow begins to settle properly. I’m no nearer my goal of getting my blog up to date, but today it doesn’t seem to matter so much- caring for my family has taken over from all other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment