Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Sunday 8 February 2015

Flu



Be careful what you wish for. That’s what they always say, isn’t it? And it’s true. Since starting this blog I’ve wanted the chance to get it as up to date as possible- my fault for starting to write it several days before actually getting it online, that it wasn’t before now. But now I’ve been given the chance I’ve been waiting all month for, and my blog is now almost more up to date than I am- thanks to a dose of full blown flu.

With everyone dropping like flies around me, I guess it was only a matter of time until the bug reached me, and reach me it certainly did! I don’t remember much about the last week, only that I have spent many, many hours up in bed for probably the first time in my life, doing absolutely nothing. I’m not normally a ‘doing nothing’ sort of person, I don’t lie in at the weekend, and I don’t even watch telly without either a pile of ironing or some sewing to do.

So for me, this last week has been a kind of living hell, only relieved by the fact that I have been so unaware of everything around me for most of the time that there could have been an earthquake and I wouldn’t have noticed. Everyone has a list of things in their head that they would do ‘if they had time’- in my case its simple things like read my book during daylight hours, play one of the many tedious games on the computer, actually read rather than just quickly glance at my news feed on Facebook…

But when actually faced with hour upon hour of doing nothing, that’s exactly what my body had in mind for me- just doing nothing. I’ve had no concentration for reading, no appetite for eating, and no strength to walk around the room. I’ve tried a few half-hearted attempts of Spider Solitaire, won a couple of games of Mahjong Solitaire, and published a couple of blog posts only because they were already written and ready to go. I’ve slept and coughed my way through the last few days totally unaware of how fast time has been travelling around me- a bit like Dr Who travelling through time and space. I’ve watched the beautiful view from my bedroom window as it changes throughout each and every day, and watched as the last of the snow has clung 
stubbornly to the tops of the hills.

My family are all in various stages of recovery from this illness by now, and my poor littlest who got it worst of all of them finally went back to school on Wednesday. Sometimes we all just need a rest, and a chance to recharge our batteries. I don’t think I listen to that thought often enough, and now my body has given me no alternative. Today I feel far more awake than I have in a long time- I have no energy, but can now concentrate long enough to read a chapter of my book, and my mind is beginning to think about ideas for my business again. I feel positive and bright about the future, and I only hope I can keep that feeling with me throughout the next few days as I try desperately to build my strength back up!

No comments:

Post a Comment