Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Tuesday 24 February 2015

The Rest of Half Term



Today the weather is miserable. There’s no other way to describe it- it’s cold, dull and raining steadily. It’s the sort of rain that just comes down straight and determined, and normally lasts all day. If we didn’t need to get up for church, I think I’d happily just curl up in bed with my book. It’s also the last day of the half term holiday, and having spent most of the week still feeling a little out of sorts I’m finally feeling more myself as I wake up and it feels like the world outside should be celebrating with me- not trying to bring me down again.

The second half of this week seems to have flown past. I was really hoping that I’d be able to start getting on top of the housework once again; I had plans to help the younger girls sort out their room, and make sure that all their homework was done. Plus, of course, I had been hoping to have Little Dolly Clothes Shop completely up to date by the end of the week. Ok, perhaps I was being a little over ambitious, but I had hoped that at least some of these things would be achieved by now.

Instead, I spent most of the week still struggling to get up at a decent time, watched the washing up piling up whilst I still didn’t have the energy to cope with the speed of it, and watched as the house fell more and more into a state of disarray. Ok, it was the school holidays. School holidays mean everyone being around, and everyone being around naturally means more washing up, and less chance to tidy up as everyone’s in the way. But it would have been nice to have seen some sort of progress from the pig sty the house had become while I dared to be ill- and by that I mean it getting better, not gradually getting worse!

On Thursday the entire day was wasted on trying to persuade a bird to come out of the chimney where he had fallen the afternoon before. There’s a log burner in the fireplace, and we spent an age trying to work out if the hole at the back was big enough for him to come through if he wanted to. Having decided it was we made sure that someone was watching out for him all day. We then spent the whole (cold) day with the living room shut off, its windows open and the log burner doors open. The bird spent the entire day sitting just above the opening to the chimney- we could see his feet or at one point his face when he bothered to look through the hole. He responded to birds outside, and to bird song on the computer, but he refused to come out.

We gave in in the end and closed the log burner doors in the hope that by morning he would have found his way into it, and we could then just let him out from there- I just didn’t want to come down in the morning to find a bird flying around the living room! We tried again on Friday, by which time we also discovered that the log burner actually pulls away from the wall, but after hearing a lot of flapping and chirping to another bird (who was obviously up on the chimney pot) we couldn’t see him any more and haven’t heard from him since. I'm really hoping he managed to find his way out at the top!!

Friday also saw a visit from my parents who had come down for a few days. It was lovely to see them, and the children enjoyed catching up with them- especially our youngest who was able to show off all her birthday presents, but I was very embarrassed by the state of the house. Ok, I know there was a reason for it to be looking like it was, but I don’t like anyone to see it looking like a complete tip. Fortunately they knew all about how poorly everyone has been recently, and when I apologised they told me there was no need.

I did at least manage to achieve a couple of my goals over the week. By this afternoon I had managed to complete all four of the demo dresses I needed to get made up. Unfortunately the weather has been against me for the last few days and I still haven’t managed to take the photos yet, as it really does help if it is bright out. Hopefully tomorrow will be and I’ll finally get a chance to put the photos with the descriptions on the website.

I’ve also managed to get some more work done on a couple of outfits for some outstanding orders. Having managed to get one ready and posted during the week, I’m pleased when I manage to get the bedding part of another order finished this afternoon. That’s another order ready to go, and I can let my customer know in the morning that it’s finally on its way to her. I’ve also got two outfits partly made up, with the poppers already sewn on.

It may have been a bit of a slow week, and I may feel like I really need another week with the children off school to make up for all the lost time, but I guess all in all it’s not been a bad few days. I’m finally feeling like tackling the mountain of housework that’s waiting for me, I’ve managed to send out or complete the longest outstanding orders and make up all my new dresses. On that positive note, it’s now time for Mike and I to put our brains in gear and head off out to the monthly quiz night at the pub…

No comments:

Post a Comment