Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Sunday 25 January 2015

A Good Start to the Week



After worrying that the snow would be melted by the time we drove up onto the hills yesterday, it actually stayed cold and bright all day. And it’s still frosty today, but once again lovely and bright. Even though it’s below freezing, it looks so lovely outside in the sunshine that it’s easy to get going for the day- always a good start on a Monday morning!

I start the day the same way that most of my days begin- loading the washing machine, washing up from breakfast, checking up on emails and the website etc. by which time it’s getting on for lunchtime- as usual. There are some bits that need buying for people- boots and plimsolls mainly, so I get on and order those before lunch and do some more blog drafting whilst I eat, and publish what I hope will be the first of two blog posts today. Mike’s taken the completed order from the weekend with him today so he can post it for me, so I send the dispatch email to my customer and close the order on the website- always a good feeling.

I’m making a casserole for dinner tonight, so as that can wait till later I get the sewing machine out and try to get the next order completed and ready to send out. It’s another bedding order, so is fairly straightforward to make up, and I should be able to finish it today. Before Christmas I actually managed to cut a few bedding sets worth of fabric out ahead of time, and I still have enough left for the set I need to sew this afternoon. 

The pink bedding set was one of the first ones I added to the site, and it is still very popular. Even better, the same fabric is still easily available to buy so I can keep this design going for a while longer yet. The pattern is a patchwork of nursery blocks- teddy bears, ABC, rattles etc. and I think it’s appeal lies in the fact that it is pretty and girlie, without being over ‘flowery’. It will be a hard one to replace when eventually I can no longer buy it, so I always make sure I have a good stock of the fabric, giving me plenty of time to look for an alternative when I have to.

At half past two I’m nearly finished when I realise I need to take a break and prepare dinner. As I need to leave to pick our youngest up in about forty minutes, I should have just about enough time to get everything peeled, chopped and added to the pot before going down to the school to collect her. Hopefully I should then have time to finish the sewing while dinner cooks itself, and before Mike gets home for the Brownies run, so he can take the parcel to the post office for me while in town. I’m nearly done when I notice how quickly time has been marching on, so I leave the carrots unchopped and run down the road to get her. Not bad going- they will take hardly any time to cut up after school and my day can stay on track.

Except that as soon as I am back in the door I get caught on the phone to our eldest daughter who has finished work for the day and wants a chat while waiting for her bus. This is lovely, but doesn’t get the carrots added to dinner. Then Mike rings to say he’s just leaving work, and obviously has time to spare on the way to the car. I put the phone down and head back to dinner, just as the phone rings again- oldest daughter with an update of what she’s just bought me from the shops for her sister’s cookery lesson tomorrow…

Sometimes I wonder how I actually manage to achieve anything round here- but somehow the dinner ends up in the oven, and as the casserole is only a sausage one it doesn’t need too many hours to cook. With so little of the bedding set left to sew, I somehow manage, just, to finish it and get it parcelled up before Mike pops home briefly to pick it and our Brownie up and head straight back out. With a second blog post published before dinner, I’m now back up to date with where I was two days ago, and can now relax for the evening feeling I’ve had a really good start to the week. Relax that is, once I’ve tidied up, chased children to bed, ironed the school and work shirts for tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment