Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Time for Some Sorting Out

It’s very quiet in the house this morning, the first morning since before Christmas that everyone has been out leaving just me. Me, that is, plus a house full of tidying, cleaning, washing, ironing, sewing… Having finally managed to replace the stereo in November- just in time to listen to Christmas CDs, I debate putting some music on for company. But we haven’t yet managed to find most of the CDs we own and I’m not really in the mood for either Pop Party, or Take That. By the time I’ve loaded the washing machine, and the tumble drier, and got the kettle on the house isn’t so quiet anymore anyway, so I give up on the music idea and wash the breakfast dishes instead.

Logging on to the computer, I check all’s well with the world and try to plan my day. Our eldest daughter has a half day today and will be home by lunchtime, so I decide to do any computer work this morning, leaving all the sorting out of my trimmings etc. for this afternoon. I get my blog post drafts up to date, so I only have today’s to work on later, then transfer the New Year’s Day draft onto the blog site. Taking a look at the calendar and going through the new fabrics I’ve bought, I make a rough plan of when to introduce each of the new outfits onto the website, allowing time for advertising and for people to actually notice the item on the store, buy it and receive it in the post.

With a bit of a shock I realise that this means it’s already time to get my new Valentine’s print dress onto the site, or else it won’t sell at all, and St. David’s day isn’t far behind. I haven’t got time to make the Valentine’s one up ahead of adding it to the website, so first thing tomorrow morning when the light’s better I’ll take a photo of the fabric so I can add the details onto the site with a basic picture. As soon as I get a chance to make a demo of the dress, I can add more detailed photos to the description- hopefully tomorrow I might get time to cut out the fabric ready to make it up next week.

After a very pleasant lunchtime spent with my biggest girl, I leave her in front of the telly catching up with something from Christmas, and take a look at all the trimmings, lace and cottons that will need to be sorted before I can begin any sewing this year. I do always try to keep a tidy work area, especially as I share the dining table with… well, with dinner I suppose! However in the immediate run up to the last Christmas post, there is no time for niceties like tidying up as every second is vital to getting the orders out on time. As soon as that mad rush is over, I have the mad rush to organise my own family’s Christmas in however many days are left by then- four in the case of this year.

So I tip out the bag of oddments that was collected up from the table, get out my plastic storage boxes and spend the afternoon trying to get a bit organised. Tomorrow I need to get some sewing done, as I’ve a couple of orders which came in just before Christmas itself, and with the holidays over there’s now no excuse not to get them done, and I don’t want my customers complaining. Fortunately my essential tools reappear- my scissors and tape measure particularly, so I’m all set for some actual work tomorrow. And I really can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment