Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Monday 19 January 2015

A Mother's Jobs...


Does every mother wake up each morning with a list already going through her head of what needs to be accomplished during the day, I wonder? By the time I’ve managed to open my eyes enough to locate the alarm and snooze it, I’ve already planned tonight’s dinner and remembered whether or not I need to get something out from the freezer for it, decided which wash load I’ll do first when I get back from taking our daughter to school, run through a list of who needs to remember to take what with them today… Maybe it’s just me and the way my brain works, and maybe that’s why I always wake up feeling like I’ve already done a day’s work by 6.30 in the morning!

The morning passes in the normal standard kind of way- washing, washing up, emails, blog drafting etc. but does start a little later as I help listen to readers down at the school in our daughter’s class on a Tuesday. So by the time I actually get anywhere near ‘work’ time, it’s already lunchtime. Being a week behind on this blog is really beginning to annoy me, so I’m determined to publish two posts today and try to catch up a bit. Being Tuesday, daughter number two has the day off college again, and although she is keen on sitting and chatting over lunch, I manage at least to get last Wednesday’s blog online- a good start to getting two done today. If I can manage to find time this evening for another one, I’ll only be five days behind and a little closer to my goal of only a couple of days.

After a ‘working’ lunch (as usual) I clear the way to get my sewing out and carry on where I left off yesterday. My customers seem to have a habit of tuning in to when their order is nearly ready to go out to them- this morning I had an email from the lady to whom the bedding set I was sewing yesterday belongs. No complaints or anything, just a query as to when she would be likely to get it, as her child’s birthday date is fast approaching. I’m annoyed that I didn’t manage to find just another two minutes last night, as I could at least then write back and let her know that it’s already in the post. I’m sure that ‘it’s nearly finished…’ doesn’t sound all that convincing, even though it’s true, so I’ll have to try not to leave myself in that position again.

First job today then is to complete the set, as predicted it literally only takes two minutes. I then carefully wrap and label the parcel and put to one side- hopefully Mike will be home in time to take it to the post office when he pops to town to collect our daughter from her school bus. I then make a start on the outfits I edged the pieces for yesterday. Before long I’m completely lost in my sewing and don’t really take much notice of the time, however the weather is going through its whole repertoire today, and that much I do notice- we’ve had rain, sun, heavy rain, extremely heavy hail, and even some snow, not that it settled or lasted very long.

As yet more rain sets in, I finish the top of a pair of pyjamas I’m sewing and am surprised to see that it’s nearly time for me to go and get my littlest from school. I’ve managed to complete nearly two outfits this afternoon, and although I know I probably won’t get much more sewing done today once everyone starts getting home for the night, I’m feeling satisfied with what I’ve achieved. For the first time this year I begin to think that perhaps, maybe, I’ve got a chance to get somewhere with this business this year, and all my plans over the holidays might just have a chance of taking off.

No comments:

Post a Comment