Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Monday 12 January 2015

Back to School - Day Two

Even with yesterday’s practice run at waking up to the alarm, this morning it still comes as a shock when it breaks into my dreams. Yesterday, although awake, I was able to stay in bed and get up in my own time. Today I have to get up and dressed, and persuade an extremely tired and sleepy 8 year old to do the same. It doesn’t help that it seems to want to stay dark outside today, and when Mike begins to get dressed it feels like it’s still the middle of the night.

Our eldest daughter is working the early shift at the nursery again today, and as Mike works in the complete opposite direction to the town, he eases himself into his working week gently by dropping her into town and then returning for breakfast before heading off to work. Although back at college yesterday, our second eldest girl now has two days off, and takes full advantage of it by continuing to sleep while everyone is busy getting up and out. Our son heads off for the bus to school as I persuade our littlest girl to wake up and have breakfast, and our second youngest daughter- not back in school until tomorrow, also chooses to get up as she wants to come down to the school with us for old time’s sake.
 
After a mad dash down to school gets us there just in time for the bell, we enjoy a nice gentle stroll back home. I love this village, and it feels like months since I’ve walked around it instead of only two weeks. After a last photo of the Christmas decorations as seen from outside the house, I make a start on taking them down by removing the wreath from the front door as we go back inside. I can feel it’s going to be a long day, so my next stop is the kettle and a quick check on emails and my website before getting on with the task of the day.
 
I’m encouraged to see that I’ve received two new orders in on the website, so now I’ve got no excuses for slacking, and my new blog has also already been viewed a few times. I post a link through to it from my Facebook page, and also from the homepage of my website, and have to concede that this is probably as far as things are going to get today.

Several hours, and one very bare looking house later and I feel I’m ready to finish the day. I hadn’t realised quite how many decorations we had up until today, and it doesn’t help that our beautiful new Christmas tree is made up of about a hundred pieces, only half of which actually want to fit back in the box- a job for tomorrow, I think. After a quick tea, and much chasing of children up to bed, we settle down to watch some telly off the Sky box, while I try to fit all the strings of fairy lights back into their boxes- another fairly impossible task. With nearly everyone out tomorrow, it must surely be a day for finally getting on with some proper work… mustn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment