Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Monday 5 January 2015

Christmas Holidays


After many frantic late nights working to meet Royal Mail’s Christmas posting deadlines, the manic Christmas preparations, and the wonderful chaos of Christmas itself, I should have taken a rest from the business. Which I did, and spent several much-needed days spending time with my family, catching up with Facebook, and finally sorting through the hundreds of photos taken throughout the year ready for posting and sharing- with all the family and friends who probably think we’ve disappeared off the face of the earth due to so little shared news over the year!!

But even while sitting around in my nightwear, surrounded by my similarly clad family, my mind has kept straying back to my little business and I’ve found myself making more plans for it than usual at this point of the holidays. Maybe I should try lazy days more often, as the rest has enabled me to come up with lots of new ideas to get Dolly Clothes out to a wider audience, and to keep it fresh.  It already has a big following on Facebook, is it now time to expand into Twitter as well? Start writing a blog, so customers can keep a track of how the business works, and see when to expect delays etc.? Should I introduce a new line with seasonal and Saint’s day outfits?

This last idea seemed the quickest and easiest to achieve, so after an afternoon spent browsing my favourite online fabric stores (of which I have only 2, plus eBay!) I found myself with fabric ordered for all the main events up to the summer holidays. Now I only have to wait for the fabric, cut out and make up the dresses, photograph them beautifully, add them on to the store within appropriate timeframes, advertise them efficiently, etc. etc.

Ok, not quite so quick and easy, but this being a quieter period in the world of doll’s clothes selling, I hope to make the most of it and get the first few outfits made up ahead of time. If only life lets me…

No comments:

Post a Comment