Running your own small, flexible business from home, to fit in with still being a full time, stay at home mum should be simple, shouldn’t it? Having biggish ideas to expand the business and be able to afford that extra caravan holiday in the summer as well as at Easter shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Unless, of course, you have five children and a husband living at home and constantly demanding your attention, have a house that still hasn’t learnt to clean and tidy itself, dinner that hasn’t learnt to cook itself, have commitments to the PTA and the church, and are still trying to sort through the boxed remnants of a past life destroyed in a house fire two years previously (possessions only-fortunately no loss of life).

Ok, maybe then it’s not quite so simple…

Tuesday 20 January 2015

Friday



It’s a beautiful clear morning and the sun is shining brightly but it’s absolutely freezing out! When I get back from the walk down to school and all the early morning tasks are complete, I take a cup of tea and sit down at the computer to get on with some admin, or maybe some more blog drafting. However, the sun is shining into the dining room at such an angle that whichever way I sit at the table, it manages to either shine across the screen, or directly into my eyes. Curtains for this room are something that we haven’t managed to buy yet with the little insurance money we got from the house, and besides it would seem a shame to shut out such a beautiful day. So, shutting the computer I decide to leave the job until later when the sun has moved round the house a bit.

Walking into the living room I once again notice the few decorations that are still waiting around for sorting. This shows me how little time I spend sitting around in here these days, as normally the sight of them would by now be irritating me and I’d have found some way of storing them before this. On the landing we’ve got a small collection of boxes and plastic tubs hoping to become storage containers for some of this lot, and with the sun streaming through the landing window this seems to be an ideal time for starting on this particular task. So I sit contented for an hour at the top of the stairs in the sunshine as the bead chains from the tree, and the lights and tinsel from the children’s tiny trees all find themselves new homes.

By now its lunchtime, and the sun has moved round out of the dining room so, grabbing a quick lunch, I once again get out the computer and log on to do some work. Despite managing to get some blog drafting done most days, I haven’t actually written up the last two days properly, and its concerning me that maybe I started too big- writing a post every day when I either won’t be able to keep up anything like this pace, or that I’ll lose interest in it and the blog will fizzle out. An hour or so later, two days written up in full, and I realise this most definitely isn’t the case- I’ve well and truly got the writing bug, I just don’t have enough hours in the day to work on it!

The washing machine is working a full day as usual, and as I load it up again I notice how rapidly the weather is changing- it’s now coming over dull and grey and the clouds look like they’ll burst at any moment. I don’t want to lose the bright and happy feelings from earlier, so as I’ve had two more orders come in I decide to get on with some cutting out. Much as it takes up a lot of time, it is at least quite satisfying as the large piece of fabric starts to take on a new shape, and once I have a nice pile of pretty fabric pieces I feel like I’m achieving something.

The older girls have once again finished their week mid-Friday and have arrived home- slightly soggy, but offering to get their sister from school for me, which leaves me free to get on with some sewing. I have a nappy to sew as part of a larger order, and as the towelling fabric likes to shred over everything if left in its raw state, it makes sense to start with that. It’s also an item which, although it takes a little while to complete, is easily something I can finish in one sitting, and has no fiddly fastenings or trimmings to hand sew afterwards.

With the nappy complete it’s getting on for dinner time. Mike and I have a meeting for a new church home group this evening, so I pack away the rest of the fabric and hope for a nice lazy weekend in which to finish sewing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment